Statewide Organizing for Community eMpowerment (SOCM) offers many different opportunities for people to get involved in our work for social, economic, and environmental justice in Tennessee.

Our strength is our members – members that devote thousands of volunteer hours each year working for a healthier Tennessee. For nearly four decades our members have earned an impressive track record – one that is recognized locally, statewide, regionally, and nationally. Working together we become one voice with a powerful network behind us.

We invite you to take action today and work for justice. Here’s how you can get involved:


Join SOCM. Your membership adds your voice to a force of 2,200 members working for justice.


Make a Donation. Your donation supports our justice work and helps us tackle and win critical issues that our communities are facing.


Join a Chapter. By becoming a member of a chapter, you join and network with other members working on local community issues.


Attend a SOCM Event. Check out our calendar of events for a meeting or public hearing near you.

Sign up to receive SOCM E-News. Learn about social, economic and environmental justice news in Tennessee, and how to take action for what you believe in.


Host a SOCM Open House. An Open House is a gathering where your friends and acquaintances are introduced to SOCM. It is both fun and informative. SOCM staff will help you plan your gathering. For more information, please contact SOCM at 865.249.7488 or email .


Help at SOCM's Knoxville office. Several times a year, help is needed to mail our newsletter (The SOCM Sentinel), mail appeals, and other similar items. Please contact SOCM at 865.249.7488 or email for more information and other ways you can help. 


Volunteer your Skills and Talents. Many of us have skills and talents that we love and don’t get to use in our daily lives. We want to engage you in our work at a level you are comfortable with. Please contact us and share your passion, skills, and talents. We need you. Call 865.249.7488 or email .


Write a Letter to the Editor.


Contact your State or Federal Legislators.